Personality disorders seem to be a fascinating topic these days. In the old days (maybe when I was not born yet), personality disorders were not really considered to be “scientific” problems. Today, though, it seems that everyone and his mom have been diagnosed with one condition or the other. And YES, it is a legitimate condition.
Anyway, a Facebook friend of mine shared a link the other day and it just cracked me up. Titled “6 New Personality Disorders Caused by the Internet,” it outlines some existing personality disorders which have been given a new twist by the Internet.
So these are the 6 new personality disorders:
1. Online Intermittent Explosive Disorder (a.k.a. The Thin-Skinned Rage-o-holic)
2. Low Forum Frustration Tolerance (a.k.a. The Frantic Browser Reloader)
3. Munchausen by Internet (a.k.a. The Sob Story Teller)
4. Online Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (a.k.a. The Grammar Nazi)
5. Low Cyber Self-Esteem (a.k.a. The Guy Who Everyone Hates but Who Never Leaves)
6. Internet Asperger’s Syndrome (a.k.a. The Troll)
The a.k.a.’s pretty much describe the disorder for you, but Jonathan Kimak’s descriptions are well worth reading for yourself. Naturally, I had to take a step back and think…do I have any of these Internet personality disorders? I don’t think so. I mean, I am level headed enough NOT to have my personality distorted by technology. Everyone who knows me would know that. (Wait – did I use the modal verb “would” correctly in that sentence???)
What is YOUR Internet personality disorder? Pray tell!